SPIRITS & SHOP EVENT Saturday, December 12 | 5-9pm Join North Park for an evening of winter delights! Stroll down University Avenue to the sound of carolers and experience the whimsy of North Park’s shopping and dining scene. Enjoy local craft cocktails + bites while you shop! Curated by the San Diego Distillers Guild Brown Paper Tickets Ticket Widget Loading… Click Here to visit the Brown Paper Tickets event page.
Black Friday not your thing? Join us on Saturday, November 28 for SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY! Skip the mall and head to North Park for a shopping experience like no other. From delightfully curated boutiques, record stores and vintage clothing shops to rare bottled beers, fine art and goods handmade in San Diego, North Park is the best place to tackle your holiday gift list!! #ShopSmall :: #ShopNorthPark :: #ExploreNorthPark VIEW ALL SPECIAL OFFERS
Project Map | Fact Sheet | Frequently Asked Questions For up to date information from the City and to subscribe to email updates, click here: Project Updates
North Park Mainstreet
North Park Main Street is a Business Improvement District (BID) in San Diego, California and is a joint program of the City of San Diego, the San Diego BID Council, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation. It is primarily a volunteer based organization. The North Park BID is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the revitalization of the North Park neighborhood in San Diego. To do such, it follows the Main Street Four Point Approach TM, Design, Economic Restructuring, Organization and Promotion. North Park Main Street embarks on many ambitious and worthy endeavors, all aimed at bringing new life and a lasting vitality to North Park.
Sustainable North Park Mainstreet
The Sustainability Challenge:
In 2009, Wayne Donaldson, California’s State Historic Preservation Officer, challenged North Park Main Street to become the state’s first Sustainable Main Street program.
Community leaders embraced this challenge and later that year convened a group of local stakeholders to develop the framework of a sustainability plan in North Park. Working in partnership with volunteer professionals at Platt/Whitelaw Architects, OBR Architecture, and Zagrodnik+Thomas Architects, NPMS drafted a
set of goals & objectives for a Sustainable North Park Main Street Program:
- Maintain the cultural and historic
integrity of the built and social environment;
- Increase resource efficiency and
conservation within the District;
- Increase internal community
- Provide a setting for a sustainable
The Implementation Plan: (Download 18 MB PDF)
A volunteer effort over eight months enabled North Park Main Street to secure a grant from the State Office of Historic Preservation to develop the Implementation Plan, which is to be used in a number of ways:
- Using individual buildings as precise case studies, this Plan is intended to be used as a handbook for Main Street Sustainability Program Staff to educate and
inspire building owners and business operators about how they can participate in the broader vision of a green North Park.
- By demonstrating the discrete components of a sustainability program, the Plan can be used by North Park Main Street to generate interest in potential funders to implement the various components of the plan.
- By illustrating the vision of coordinated public investments in the right-of-way,the Plan serves as a handbook for the public agencies and community advocacy groups who oversee and implement public works.
- Designed with “open architecture”, the publication is intended to be a living, growing document that can be augmented with additional digital building models, completed projects, or community proposals.
- The appendices serve both as technical manuals and as on-going records of the accomplishments of the district toward meeting its sustainability goals.