North Park Main Street: Committees
North Park Main Street (NPMS) is a non-profit organization that administers the North Park Business Improvement District (BID) and engages the North Park downtown business community in the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Main Street program. NPMS promotes the revitalization of North Park’s historic downtown with an emphasis on preservation of its unique historic assets and pedestrian-friendly environment. NPMS is supported by a volunteer Board of Directors and Committees following the Main Street “four point approach” – focusing on four key areas: 1) Organization, 2) Design, 3) Economic Restructuring, and 4) Promotion.
Mission Statement: Enhance the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, encouraging supportive new construction, developing sensitive design management systems and long range planning
- Review Development Projects: Review proposed commercial projects and collaborate with developers and City planners to preserve North Park’s unique architectural, cultural, and village-like character
- Promote Public Improvements: Coordinate with City Council District 3 to focus the spotlight on North Park public improvement and beautification need.
- Monitor Streetscape Improvements: Monitor implementation of streetscape improvements to ensure that upgrades are consistent with the North Park Streetscape Design Manual
- Create Directional Sign District: Coordinate with City planners to develop a comprehensive directional sign district program
Meets on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 5:30 in the North Park Main Street office
Economic Restructuring Committee
Mission Statement : Strengthen the NPMS business district’s economic base by creating an environment conducive to attracting desirable new community investment, helping existing businesses expand, and recruiting targeted new businesses
- Prepare Community Profile: Facilitate the development of a comprehensive overview of North Park’s market-related demographics, assets, trends, business assistance resources, and development-related guidelines)
- Update Business Directory/ Identify Market Niches: Identify unfilled market niches in order to develop targeted attraction strategies
- Update Inventory of Available Properties: Develop commercial property database that can be securely updated by local real estate brokers and NPMS staff
- Facilitate Business Networking: Host quarterly merchant mixers which encourage collaboration among local businesses, NPMS staff, volunteers, and partners, including City of San Diego, Small Business Resource Center, and others
Meets on the third Tuesday of each month at noon at the North Park Main Street office.
Mission Statement : Establish sound fiscal and management policies to ensure the efficient operation of the North Park Main Street organization
- Develop North Park Vision: Develop a long term vision to guide NPMS goal-setting and a strategic work place
- Update Policies & Procedures: Assess and update NPMS By-Laws as needed
This committee meets the 2nd Monday at Noon at the North Park Main Street office (3076 University Ave).
Mission Statement : Improve consumers’ and investors’ confidence in North Park by promoting the community’s social, cultural, and economic resources
- Support and promote events such as the North Park Festival of the Arts, Taste of North Park, the Toyland Parade, among other local events.
- Promote Farmers’ Market
- Create window clings for NPMS Business Members
- Create new NPMS website design
- Develop “Shop Local Campaign”
- Implement North Park Banner Program: Install banners in the expanded Business Improvement District creating a cohesive graphic design throughout the commercial corridors
Meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 11:00 a.m. at the North Park Main Street office.
If you are interested in becoming a committee member, or would like more information call (619) 294-2501 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.